Last Updated:
Sao Paulo Fans in Fine Voice

Brasileiro 2019 - Round Two

It doesn’t rain but it pours with round 2 of the Brasileirao coming hot on the heels of round one, with just three days between the games and another full fixture list coming at the weekend. With four teams left to play, inconsistency has marked the first week of Serie A competition as only two teams, Sao Paulo and Atletico-MG, emerge with 100% records.

Palmerias were held to a draw by newly promoted CAS. Having taken an early lead the Porcos were pegged back in the second half through CAS’ only shot on target.

Corinthians got their first win under their belt courtesy of a slender victory against Chapecoense. Augusto got the only goal of the game early in the second half of a tightly contested tie.

In a battle of last season’s second x third International got the better of Flamengo and it was ex-Flamengista, Peruvian forward Paulo Guerrero, who gave them the early lead with a well-taken header to remind the Rubro-Negro exactly what they let go last season. Arrascaeta made it 1-1 with half an hour to go but Sarrafiore grabbed the winner in the 77th minute, leaving them level with Flamengo and seven other teams on three points.

Germio and Avai played out a barely-watchable 1x1 draw, devoid of any creativity or ambition with both teams seemingly happy to earn their first point of the season.

Cruziero bounced back from their defeat at Flamengo on Saturday with a 1x0 win at home to Ceara in what was a surprisingly competitive game. The visitors set up defensively but produced a number of chances on the counter and were only denied by multiple saves from Fabio in the Cruzeiro goal, including from a VAR-awarded penalty on 17 minutes. As the game wore on the home side’s quality began to tell and eventually they picked up the victory via a piece of quick-thinking from attacking-midfielder Thiago Neves.

Atletico Mineiro inflicted  the second defeat of the season on Vasco and launched themselves up to the giddy heights of second. One of only two teams with a hundred percent record at this early point in the season, the Galo’s sealed a 2x1 victory through their Colombian internationalist Yimmi Chara’s last minute goal.

The other table topping 100%-ers are Sao Paulo. They will be hoping that their early form continues to banish memories of last years midseason capitulation. Having lead from the start of last season the Tricolor fell apart in the second half of the season finishing 5th and sacking their manager. New boss Cuca saw his side win 2x1 courtesy of Pato’s first goal of the season. Toro doubled their lead before Barcia pulled one back on the stroke of half time. Although the scoring stopped there the action continued until the 90th minute when Igor Vincius saw red for a rather unorthodox two footed last man challenge. After a prolonged VAR consultation the red was rightly upheld.

Fortaleza got an impressive win against high-flying Paranaense. Edinho scored the quickest goal of the round, for Fortaleza, in the second minute- without the opposition having touched the ball. If anything, scoring such an early goal seemed to upset their own rhythm and they struggled to dominate thereafter; Leo Perreira bagged the equaliser for CAP after 21 minutes. As the game drifted towards the close, Rogerio Ceni altered his forward line with the introduction of Osvaldo and Wellington Paulista and it proved decisive as the latter scored shortly afterwards. The away side pressed for an equaliser in the closing minutes but the defence held firm, roared on by the home supporters, who must now view the season ahead with optimism.

Thursday's Games

Santos beat Fluminense 2x1 with all the goals coming in the second half. Sasha bagged his second of the season and shortly after this lead was doubled by Sanchez. Pedro pulled a goal back in the 85th minute but Santos held on to contniue their winning start to the season.

Botafogo ran out 3x2 winners over Bahia in the last game of the round. Having taken an early lead the men from the North conceeded 3 in the last fifteen minutes of the first half to go into the dressing rooom facing an uphill task. They set up a tense finale with a goal in the 83rd minute but couldn't force an equaliser and left Rio empty handed.